Today, I want to share with you a few of my favorite writing websites, and to celebrate the book that I think made the most sense on learning about writing. That book is On Writing by Stephen King. To me, it is the best book I have read on the topic. Why is that? I feel that way because,
- The approach is simple, honest, sincere, and experienced, and as it promises, it goes to the point, bypassing the bullshit – at least that is the vibe I got.
- It shows you besides telling you.
- It gives you hope.
- It scares you.
- It motivates you.
- It takes you to a different level of understanding of the craft.
- It is unlike all the other writing books I have read.
- It puzzled me, and “un-puzzled” me.
- It does not preach what it does not know.
- It shows you the complexity and simplicity of writing via the author’s experience and the examples he gives to illustrate some points.
- Stephen King wrote it.
I recommend this book to every aspiring writer and every writer, even if you have a few novels published. It takes you to a different writing reality.
Now, let me share a few author/writing websites that I like, and have found very helpful. Some I may have mentioned on earlier posts.
- Stephen King – http://www.stephenking.com/index.html
- J.K. Rowling – http://www.jkrowling.com/
- Sarah Ban Breathnach – Simple Abundance – http://www.simpleabundance.com/index.html
- Michael Hyatt – Intentional Leadership – http://michaelhyatt.com/
- Alli (Alliance of Independent Authors) – http://selfpublishingadvice.org/blog/
- Indie Author Guide – http://indieauthorguide.com/
- The Book Designer – http://www.thebookdesigner.com/
- The Creative Penn – http://www.thecreativepenn.com/
- Author Maria Murnane’s blog – http://mariamurnane.com/blog/
- Claire Cook – http://www.clairecook.com/
These are just a few of the sites I enjoy and find very helpful/informative to aspiring writers. Today we celebrate Stephen King, and these awesome sites.
Happy Watercolors Friday everyone!
4 thoughts on “Watercolors Friday – On Writing”
Pingback: Part One of a Conversation with: John McLemore regarding writing and his new book, ‘The Old Royal’. | Chris Keys
I just read that book last month. It was great! Thanks for listing the other websites – will check them out.
It is the best book I have read on the topic. The websites are great too; there is one of them (Simple Abundance) that is on transition to a new look.
Thank you for stopping by.
Comments are closed.