Today, I didn’t want to write about my novel or a writing topic, but instead, I wanted to write about what I was inspired at the moment. So I asked my Muse, what do you want me to write about today? The title you just read came to mind, so that is what I am writing about this instant.
As someone who has known what this means, I can tell you that it is not easy to hang in there when everything has flipped upside down at one point in your life. When your world hangs the opposite to your focus, it is easy to be discouraged, throw the towel, and just hang for eternity. I think that hanging a bit is fine because you need to rest to fix your focus. You need to rest emotionally, physically, and spiritually, as well as in the material state. So give yourself time to just be, and let your broken spirit rest.
Once you have rested and pondered on your misery, the moment to make a decision knocks at the door of your heart, and you know that this is the time when you decide to pick yourself up and fix your focus, or maintain a state of hanging, sinking slowly into a deep hole. Whether the contents of that hole is depression, sadness, anger, hopelessness, inertia, hate, laziness … and many other things, it is different to each individual. However, when you are hanging upside down, after the rest, you will hear that knock, and you will have to answer. Whether you start pulling at that rope, lifting yourself up slowly, and appreciating how the image comes back to focus bit by bit, or let the rope go, it is up to you. One thing is for sure, you need to balance yourself to be able to pull that rope and getting yourself back up. How is it possible to balance yourself when everything around you seems to be spinning out of control and you hang but by a leg? It is not easy, but it is possible. This happens when you rest and give yourself time to focus.
- First, you need to recognize that you need help – whether from a professional or a best friend, and of course yourself. Whether you can do this on your own, or need help is personal.
- Second, you need to recognize that there are no blames in this process. I truly believe that we are responsible for our own choices, and no one is to blame.
- Third, you think about what you believe as truth in your life and make a commitment to yourself.
- Fourth, you learn to view the world upside down for a while, and ponder about it. What you discover about it may surprise you.
- Fifth, you learn what your priorities are, and decide to make them your priority or not – knowing that there will be consequences to your decision (positive or negative).
- Sixth, you accept to deal with those consequences understanding the process.
- Seventh, you do this slowly, one step at a time.
- Eight, you remain true to your beliefs and priorities when you start to fix your focus.
- Ninth, you will discover that some things from your old upside down world, do not go into focus no matter how hard you try, so you will have to let those go, otherwise you will stay out of focus in some areas. In this process, you will learn to say no. You will learn that you will have to accept that you cannot please everyone. You will also learn to weigh which opinions matter more to you – others or yours.
- Tenth, you must accept that no one can live your life but you, and that you cannot live your life according to other’s ideas of what your world should look like. You have been given a responsibility to manage your life (a gift) and live it as well as you can; however your truths and priorities will guide you here.
- Eleventh, this is when you start feeling that the image in front of you is just an image, and what matters is how you feel about it and how you live your life in this quasi upside down world. You make it as straight as you want, and you do it one step at a time, balancing yourself in the process – checking from time to time your beliefs, truths, and priorities.
- Twelfth, the realization that you are always in control hits you, and suddenly, even that you might be still pulling yourself up as you pull on the rope slowly, trying to straighten your world and fix your focus, you can see that the view upside down and in between is as ugly or beautiful as you make it to be, and that there is always a prism changing colors.
This is what I had to write today.